1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pokémon Sword and Shield: new trailer and details about the Pokémon Global Link

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield' started by May, Aug 20, 2019.

Share This Page

1. May

May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    A new trailer for Pokémon Sword and Shield has just been released on the nintendo UK YouTube Channel. The trailer features a look at a new town.
    The games will launch worldwide for Nintendo Switch on November 15.

detail_en_b5dabce3-b91d-4019-92ce-54601f58c9e3[1].jpg
    The Pokémon Global Link (PGL) will not support Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. To view services such as Rankings, Distribution Regulations, and the events calendar will be provided through Pokémon HOME.
    Services equivalent to the current Rating Battle and Online Competitions are planned to be supported using just the connectivity features of Nintendo Switch Online membership (Game Sync will not be required for these new games).

Source: official website
  2. LordZoroak

LordZoroak Trainer Pokémon Trainer

so if we don't pay for Pokemon Home we can't use the Global Link meaning we can't make Wifi Ranked battle ?
  3. May

May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    I think it's like this:
    - if you have the Switch Online membership (paid) you can play in Rating Battles/Casual Battles and Online Competitions (official and friendly) because those will be supported with the online membership (Game Sync will not be required for these new games)
    - rental battles... I think those will require HOME and maybe a QR code like with the 3DS games
    - if you want to see Rankings, Distribution Regulations and the events calendar you will have to use HOME

With this, I think that HOME will be half free/half paid:
    - half free: many things were always free in the PGL (Online Competitions, checking your rankings, etc...) so this will be like the Splatoon 2 app
    - half paid: if you want to store your Pokémon (like Bank) /play with them/other things that for now we don't know I think we will have to pay :yeahyeah:
    (they also said that the HOME version for Switch will allow you to trade so I think that too will be free -> we already pay for the online)

Well, this is what I hope the HOME app will be... because if I have to pay to see the Rankings it will be sad :uhm: