Thread Owner
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Emolga and Zapdos
PkmnGO Team
super-mario-run-game-iphone-ipad-930x465.jpg

Pokémon Go may need to make way for a new mobile success story.

Super Mario Run had more downloads on its first day than the location-based sensation, according to app analysis group Apptopia. Super Mario Run on the Apple App Store hit 2,850,000 downloads compared to Pokémon Go’s 900,000. This is a fantastic start for Nintendo as it hopes to use its most recognizable character to take advantage of the $36 billion mobile gaming market. We asked Apptopia if this is a new opening day record for an iOS game and will update if we have confirmation.

To be fair, Pokémon Go’s success increased as word of mouth spread about the innovative game, which has players walking around the real world and hunting for digital creatures to collect. During its second day, it had 2,061,000 downloads. On the third day, it achieved 5,600,000 downloads.

Super Mario Run could be more front loaded. Nintendo did a lot to promote the game, including an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Since it was an iOS exclusive, even Apple worked to make sure iPhone and iPad owners knew about the game. People were waiting for the advertised December 15 launch date. Super Mario Run also had a wider worldwide launch while Pokémon Go’s release was more scattered.

Also, Super Mario Run doesn’t have as much of a social aspect as Pokémon Go, so players are less encouraged to get their friends into the game. Still, if people are enjoying the app, word of mouth could lead to even more downloads.

Our own review for Super Mario Run called it a fun game that captures Nintendo’s magic, even if it could use more levels.

Source: Venturebeat.

Of course I was expecting for a good reception to Mario Run... But not as good as it was, since it's an iOS exclusive and we already have many endless runners over the mobile gaming market.

Pokemon Trainer

Demon Buster Trainee
Staff member
Admin
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Pikachu, Rayquaza and Zeraora
PkmnGO Team
Of course I was expecting for a good reception to Mario Run... But not as good as it was, since it's an iOS exclusive and we already have many endless runners over the mobile gaming market.
It's a me, Mario!!!
It's a Mario game, and Mario is really loved, so I maybe thats why the game had a good reception :yesyes2: :sisi2: but anyway, I don't think I'll download it in the future if they will relese an Android version...

Suffering from Severe Depression
Pokémon Trainer
Can't wait for it to come to Android.

btw, there was a Sonic game in a similar fashion (not Sonic Dash) called Sonic Runners, but Sega scrapped that game.

Wish they didn't do that cause I loved Sonic Runners :(

Diehl

As consistent as a Honda engine
Thread Owner
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Emolga and Zapdos
PkmnGO Team
Can't wait for it to come to Android.

btw, there was a Sonic game in a similar fashion (not Sonic Dash) called Sonic Runners, but Sega scrapped that game.

Wish they didn't do that cause I loved Sonic Runners :(

Yeah, Sonic Runners... I used to play it when it was released, because as you know I'm a Sonic fan.

However, I don't miss it (and I won't play Mario Run if it came for Android), as I said above we have too many "endless runners" and they basically feel like the same. Currently, my favourite game of this genre (or the one I have installed on my phone) not even is "endless", but just a game about running/jumping, which is "Fast like a Fox", I like it cause it has a cooler way to play.

Top Bottom